The pledge for patriotism

Back to Article
Back to Article

The pledge for patriotism

There is a going divide between people and what they think patriotism actually means.

There is a going divide between people and what they think patriotism actually means. "If you live in this country, then you should stand for the flag," said Case Jaukkuri, a senior.

Hannah Reichert

Hannah Reichert

Hannah Reichert

Hannah Reichert, Editor-in-Chief

500 Internal Server Error- 澳门赌场官网

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

“The pledge of allegiance doesn’t mean anything to me,” said Mallory Scurlock, a junior. Scurlock believes being patriotic is shown by loving your country and being loyal to it. “It’s making a promise to a country who won’t make their promises to anyone but who they choose.”

Everyone has reasons for why they feel a certain way about something. They might be persuaded because of a job, family opinions, or by society.

“Having patriotism is supporting your country by possibly displaying the flag or joining the military,” said Case Jaukkuri, a senior. Jaukkuri enlisted in the United States Army about a year ago and his job is 31 Bravo, which is the military police. “If you live in this country, you should stand for the flag.”

Since the election of Donald Trump in 2016, there has been a rise in controversy over patriotism and what it means.

“I think people sometimes say it [Pledge of Alligance] without knowing what it means,” said Evan Kershner, the U.S. history teacher at Meridian High School. He believes that patriotism is looking out for the best interest for your country through the good and the bad. “It’s [Pledge of Alligance] sometimes blind patriotism, where people don’t really know what they are pledging allegiance to, they’re just like, ‘I’ve always done it, so I guess I’ll keep doing it.'”